Wednesday 25 May 2011

2 year ticks

A phone call last night whilst watching my daughter play in a football match (they lost 9-1) allowed me to take a detour on the way home and hear a Corncrake singing at Østensjøvannet. It was only around 25m away from me but as is usual I failed to see it but will be worth another (and longer) visit.
This morning my trip around Maridalen revealed pretty much the same species as the last couple of days with the Heron and LRP still present. New though was a Common Rosefinch which I only heard singing briefly but there is no mistaking the "Nice to meet you" song.
Off to Finnmark tomorrow. It seems there is still lots of snow about and many summer visitors have still to arrive which hopefully will mean that we will be inundated by arriving migrants searching for the few areas of clear ground and water. The Lesser White-fronted Geese were still present at their staging site yesterday and the (very) small number of observers up there recently have notched up a few rarities including White Winged Lark so the omens bode well!

No comments:

Post a Comment