Friday 4 November 2011

Geese gone

Thought I would have another look at the geese today to see if I could get any better pictures. Unfortunately they were not to be found. Instead 74 Canada Geese and 80 Greylag Geese were more than I had yesterday and only 16 Pink-feets. I trudged some damp feilds hoping to find some snipe but no luck although a Great Grey Shrike became my 10th sighting of the autumn. I am sure that the mild weather is encouraging more to hang around. Out on Svellet a single Pintail, 2 Wigeon, 2 Great Crested Grebes and a few Teal and Mallard. I saw a female Goshawk feeding on prey in a field as I drove by - shame that not more raptors are encouraged to the area, for example Gyr Falcon.
I drove to the other side of Nodre Øyeren to the Årnestangen area to see if the geese were here. No sign of them I didn't bother walking all the way out. Scanning Snekkervika and Fautøya produced another 100 Canada Geese, 20 Common Scoter, another Pintail and 10 Wigeon.
A strange and unfamiliar grunting sound was coming from the marsh area at Snekkervika and with a limited number of possible species it could be I checked out the call of Jack Snipe on the i-phone and sure enough it was one! I've never heard Jack Snipe call before and according to the literature they are pretty much silent. However someone managed to record the call that I have on my phone so there must be some birds that are vocal.



No comments:

Post a Comment