Friday 11 November 2011

Short-eared Owl

It really is getting quiet now on the birding front. Three and half hours around Fornebu was quite hard going but as is often the case hard work gets rewarded, this time in the form of a Short-eared Owl. Disturbed from its roost in an area of bushes it did not give stunning views and I was not able to take any pictures but it definitely made my day. Otherwise the divers are still present and 2 Sparrowhawks and a Kestrel  are still finding enough food. The Kestrel caught a vole whilst I was there and I also had a vole running around my feet so there is porbably quite a healthy rodent population which may encourage the owl to hang around. There were a few Redpolls flying around but none allowed themselves to be scrutinised to see if they harboured an Arctic in their midst. On the fjord still good numbers of Common Scoter and the lone male Velvet Scoter alongside a few Guillemots and Razorbills.

No comments:

Post a Comment