Wednesday 9 November 2011

Birding in the mist

A trip out to Hellesjøvannet on Tuesday was a game of patience as I had to wait for fog to lift before I could see anything. I could hear geese calling on the lake and as the fog lifted I estimated 200 Greylag but as I finally got to see clearly I saw there were 640 Greylag and 70 Canada Geese. Close scrutiny bird by birds revelead single White-fronted Goose and Pink-footed Goose. Ducks were few in number but there was variety: 2 Pochard, 2 Scaup, 1 Smew, 2 Teal, 4 Mallard, 10 Goldeneye and 5 Goosander.
Otherwise on the trip there was a high count of 179 Teal at Hemnessjøvannet, scatteredfamily parties of Whooper Swans in roadside fields and yet another Great Grey Shrike taking me, I think, to 11 birds at 9 localities this autumn

Geese in the mist

3 Roe Deer ran over the road

.

No comments:

Post a Comment