Tuesday 4 September 2012

Winds are coming


Popped into Fornebu today and saw the Smew (lappfiskand) and Red-backed Shrike (tornskate) were still present but found little else. Even though I didn’t manage to get too close to the shrike I was happy with some of the pictures I got and feel I am starting to master the new lens.
In Maridalen there were 183 Greylag Geese (grågås) on the lake which is I think the largest flock I have had here. Hopefully they will hang around into the late autumn and attract some more exciting wilder cousins. Also a juvenile Sparrowhawk (spurvehauk) which was repeatedly having a go at some Jays (nøtteskrike) which just mobbed it back and some Wood Pigeons (ringdue) which seemed a bit wary of it but not too scared. Hopefully it will work out what a suitable prey item is before long and survive the autumn.

Southerly winds have started blowing again and this time appear to be pushing some birds up the fjord with skuas and Little Gulls reported this afternoon. The winds will get stronger tonight but will veer more westerly. I will be on station at Brentetangen tomorrow hoping for both quality and quantity.
juvenile (1K) Red-backed Shrike

juvenile Sparrowhawk playing with Wood Pigeons and a single feral pigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment