Sunday 19 May 2013

Relaxing at the cabin

We are enjoying the unseasonally warm weather (30C) at a cabin by the Oslofjord in Hulvik. There is a good potential for migrating seabirds here but light northerly winds have not been conducive gøfor migration and the only movement of note was a few male Eiders (ærfugl) heading south after having presumably done their bit for the survival of the species and now heading off to moult and rest.

Around the cabin there are singing Wood Warbler (bøksanger), Garden Warbler (hagesanger), Hawfinch (kjernebiter) and Redstart (rødstjert) alongside the commoner birds. Also a mystery bird calling which I can't decide if it is a woodpecker, Wryneck or even a Hobby  - hopefully I'll get to see it.

This morning I headed off to Kurefjorden before breakfast where two Dotterel (boltit) were the highlight. A pair of Redshank (rødstilk) also showed well and I may have some good pictures.

My main hope for this weekend has been to see my first Red-backed Shrike (tornskate) of the year - a bird I love to see and which seems to be getting scarcer for every year that passes. Today I saw none in any of the spots where I have found birds before but did at least see one at 100km/h along the motorway fence - strangely I didn't get a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment