Saturday 16 August 2014

Raptors surprise

The kids are eating up important birding time at the moment but the start of school next week will soon restore rightful balance! Yesterday saw us at Tusenfryd, Norway's only (?) amusement park. Apart from adrenalin induced excitment I (but not the kids) also got a kick from a Honey Buzzard (vepsevåk) which looked to be migrating south rather than just cruising over the area. When we got home the local House Martins (taksvale) made me look up to see a Hobby (lerkefalk) flying over - so I got both the scarce raptors that I had hoped to find in Maridalen the previous day whilst not really birding.

Today after a marathon session at the local shopping centre I stole an hour in Maridalen. Three Red-baced Shrikes (tornskate) were feeding together now although I will spare you more pictures. Otherwise it was just the same birds with a few Whinchat (buskskvett), the first Wheateat (steinskvett) of the autumn, Tree Pipits (trepiplerke) and Red-throated (smålom) and Black-throated Divers (storlom) on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment