Sunday 24 May 2015

Maridalen briefly

Short trips into Maridalen yesterday and today revealed only a couple of new sightings. Firstly I managed to confirm that at least two pairs of Lapwings (vipe) have fledged young when I saw broods of 4 and at least 2. Secondly I had my first Icterine Warbler (gulsanger) of the year in the Dale and it was an individual with a very rich and intense song that had me thinking Thrush Nightingale (nattergal) and Marsh Warbler (myrsanger) before I sussed out its true identity. There is a great similarity, at least to my ears, between the songs of Iccy and Marshy and Icterine does also have mimicking in its song.

Icterine Warbler (gulsanger) and blossom

This female Lapwing was clearly protecting some additional youngsters to the one that I could see

she flew up to chase off a Fieldfare (gråtrost) which could hardly have been a threat and revealed she had been sitting on (and protecting) three additional young

they soon came back to her for warmth and protection. Two are already under her here

here comes the last one

job done

Swallow (låvesvale)

The Tawny Owl (kattugle) youngsters are still not quite ready to leave the nest but it won't be long

No comments:

Post a Comment