Saturday 10 June 2017

I love it when a plan comes together

No I wasn’t guiding Hannibal Smith from the A Team yesterday but Paul Hindess (Twitter: @pablohugelist) from County Durham. The main target was Great Grey Owl which was achieved in style and then I followed up with a supporting cast of Pygmy Owl, Ortolan, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Woodlark, Slavonian Grebe, Parrot Crossbill, Hobby, Crane and male Capercaille!!

Paul is a keen video man and uses a Nikon Coolpix P900 which was the other camera I considered before buying my Canon Powershot SX 60. In hindsight think I made the wrong choice (although mine is smaller and cheaper) but it will be interesting to compare the videos we both took. My highlights video is below (from my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/oslobirder ) and Paul will be publishing his on his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/paulhindess.

The Great Grey chicks were very vocal when we were there and were flapping their wings so will be jumping out of the nest in the next couple of days. Whilst we were watching one adult was sitting close to the nest although did take a short tour around the area and the other adult came in once with food but I was scanning around and Paul focused on the other adult so we missed the actual delivery of food before he flew off again to find more food to shut the kids up.


I still have a load of video to go through from Wednesdays Hedmark trip but will probably not get round to that until the summer holidays. Here are yesterday’s guiding highlights though including Great Grey Owl, Ortolan, Slav Grebe, Hobby, Woodlark, Caper & Grey-headed Pecker.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you Simon it was a great days birding and the weather behaved. You worked very hard to make it special and your a canny lad

    ReplyDelete